Common Christmas Poisons For Your Pets To Avoid

 

We all have weird and wonderful additions to our house over the Christmas but some of these can be dangerous to pets. Our Vet in Ashbourne Veterinary Clinic, Marina, has made a simple list of what to watch out for and what to avoid. If you are ever in doubt, please don't hesitate to contact us.

 
Poinsettia Plants . They can cause skin contact irritation, eye irritation, mouth irritation and vomiting. You can give water or milk to drink to dilute in stomach, wash any affected skin areas, flush eyes with saline for 15-20 mins.
 
Mistletoe can affect the heart and also cause vomiting and diarrhoea. Veterinary attention is needed due to the effects on the heart.

Holly can cause vomiting and diarrhoea. It is generally not toxic but veterinary attention is needed if the vomiting or diarrhoea is persistent.
 
Pot pourri - liquid type scent can cause oral ulceration, supportive care needed if this is severe as severe pain can result so make sure this is well out of the way or preferably don't have it in your house at all. Dry type pot pourri illness is rare but some from India can contain strychnine which can cause seizures and vomiting which is generally very serious and requires veterinary treatment ASAP.
 
Chocolate
Cooking chocolate and dark chocolate is very strong and if eaten in large quantities, can cause your pet to be hyper and possibly end up in seizures and cardiac issues. Signs start 2-4 hours after it is eaten and can last for up to 10 hours afterwards. Veterinary treatment, is signs are severe often consists of i/v fluids, sedatives and toxin in-activators.
 
Macadamia nuts
Approx 1 nut per kg can cause signs 6-24 hrs post ingestion resulting in weakness depression, tremors. These signs peak at 12hrs and resolve by 48hrs. Veterinary intervention is only needed if the signs are very severe. 
 
Raisins
Vomiting, diarrhoea, anorexia, lethargy and acute renal failure can result from eating raisins. We never advocate the feeding of raisins to any pet. In the event of this happening we would admit the patients and place them on i/v fluids for at least 48 hours and monitor the kidney function by regular blood testing.
 
Pastry and bread dough 
This can cause ethanol/alcohol production in stomach and gas production which can be quite dangerous if large quantities are eaten. We try to cause your pet to throw up what they have eaten and if your pet is severely affected, we put them on i/v fluids to dilute the alcohol in their blood stream so it doesnt cause severe damage.
 
Electrocution. 
It sounds obvious but make sure your pet cant get near any electrical wires. This can often times be fatal. Also watch out for small Christmas decorations and toys or parts of toys that pets can swallow. We have pets every year that eat things they shouldn't and results in emergency surgery to have them removed. 
 
We hope we haven't scared you but at least made you aware of what to avoid and what to watch out for. At least this way you, your pet and your family will have a peaceful and event free Christmas. In the event of any emergency, please don't hesitate to call us on the numbers listed at the top of the page or if we are closed;086 8185059 or 1890 564 036

 

 

 

 

 

 

Tags: